Tuesday, November 6, 2018

November, and I have been such a slacker

Where does the time go?  I actually created an account at work yesterday and labeled it "October shop account" because in my mind it was still October.  Yes, that's a very sad sign about the state of my mind, but true nonetheless. 

November: one of my favorite months, along with all the months after summer. (Well, actually, I am not usually a fan of March for some reason. Go figure.) Leaves on trees change colors as do all the vineyards I pass driving through the Russian River valley. From my front desk post at work I can see dozens of trees and sometimes a breeze comes up and thousands of leaves get blown from their branches and float down, like a snowfall of color. It's mesmerizing.  This week the days are overly warm but the nights are very cold. It's rather odd, you start the day with layers and by mid-day you are down to a t-shirt and by 4:00 the layers are back on and by 9:30, when you take the dog out to pee, there are even more layers! Crazy!

I had a mediocre lunch today but with the best company, my Stacey, but it made me not hungry for dinner. But one must eat something, right? I cubed up a chunk of butternut squash that was languishing in the fridge, salt and pepper, and a chopped piece of bacon, and baked it until the squash was tender and caramelized and the bacon was crisp. Delicious, and I am pretty sure that since it was lean bacon and the fat sort of cooked off and the squash didn't absorb ALL the fat that it was almost fat-free!  Who cares, it was really good, the soft, sweet squash against a little crunch of crisp, salty bacon.  So autumn.

Two weeks and a few days until Thanksgiving. The highlight of autumn, of course. One can walk down any street in any neighborhood and smell turkey roasting and pies baking and hear the elastic chatter of groups of people and kids gathering. It's a good day.

I will try to be back here more.  Yeah, I know, promises, promises.  But there you have it.

And here is a photo of main room of the clubhouse at Autocamp. You can see a few Airstreams and the little Redwood Suite (the ADA unit.) That's the view from the front desk where I see leaves pouring down. (The front desk would be farther to the right.) Not a bad thing to look at all day. Redwood trees on the left. 

Image result for photos of autocamp

No comments:

Post a Comment