Friday, December 21, 2018

Been home a week; was I ever gone?

It's strange to think that last Thursday I was in an airport, waiting to board a plane home. Did that really happen?

This week I worked a few days, ran errands, did laundry, walked the dog numerous times, neglected the stack of bills sitting right next to me as I write, slept, ate, baked some tasty things and ate some of them.  I watched the Bruce Springsteen special on Netflix, basically his Broadway show filmed for our enjoyment. (And enjoy I did!  If you are a fan, you will really like it, please watch it. If you are not a fan but still like good entertainment, check it out. If you hate Bruce, well, I have nothing to say about that except something rude so I will say nothing.)

It is just too easy to let vacations dissolve into a ghostly blur; real life (i.e. non-vacation life) crowds everything out with its demands and immediacy and in-your-face pushiness. Wouldn't it be so much better if all the mental snapshots of the vacation crowded out the grocery lists and the working hours and the laundry baskets of tasks we all deal with every single day?  If that vacation wasn't reduced to a couple of nice memories but instead took up as much time in our minds as worrying about paying the rent does?

But that requires work, it requires taking specific moments out of each day and concentrating on the vacation. So that's what I do. At this moment I am thinking about the village of Carcassonne, a castle fortress perched up on a hill, a perfect location if you want to watch for heathens storming your castle. Beautiful stone work, you can see where the moat would have been. Inside a chaotic scene of tourists and tourist shops, overpriced cafe's, too much noise and too many people. Obviously, heathens did storm that castle.

In three days it will be Christmas Eve, my favorite day of the year. My kids, lots of champagne, fresh crab, tons of tasty eats and more than tons of love. Christmas carols, dogs wearing funny hats, rain and pajamas. I cannot wait!

Image result for black labs wearing christmas hats

No comments:

Post a Comment