Friday, December 21, 2018

The Un-Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon

OK, I admit that the first season of Mrs. Maisel was fine. I found it charming and funny, although I could never figure out how she had time to run out and do stand-up comedy in the wee hours of the night when she had two kids. But hey, it's TV, whatever.

Tonight I started to watch the second season and for the love of Lenny Bruce, what the hell happened? Is it me or is it not funny anymore? Her husband mopes around like a kicked dog, that ain't funny. She jets off to Paris with nary a thought for anyone left at home and gets friendly with some drag queens, which could be fun I suppose. But it's all so ..... fake.  Yes, it's a TV show, and fake is TV and TV is fake and all that. But can we admit it's just a little too much?

Her family is rich, we saw that in Season One. Which means there is never a worry about money or child care or hotel bills or clothes or any of that. It's amusing for a few episodes but I have ceased to be amused. I now find it manipulative and exhausting. Midge is no longer funny, she is simply a spoiled brat, living the good life, making fun of everyone, not a care in the world unless it's a care about herself. Self obsessed she is and no longer laughable, sorry to say.

Well, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment