Friday, September 21, 2018

Bill Clinton and James Patterson "The President is Missing" Thumbs down.

No duh. The President and a Writer are both missing from this book. Seriously, Bill Clinton is a good writer. Why he teamed up with Patterson to write spy-espionage-thriller is a mystery to me, no pun intended. He should have written it himself.

I read a lot and I have read some James Patterson novels and I state right now, clear and loud that I am not a Patterson fan. If you read two of his books you have read them all. The snobby reader that I am, I don't care if you have the same character in every book (witness the success of Lee Child with that Jack Reacher guy, a character I have loved for some time until recently, but that's an essay for another day) but just jimmy the plot a bit, throw in some strangeness and something different. Patterson does not do that.

So we have this BLOCKBUSTER NOVEL (marketing caps, not mine) of a collaboration between Patterson and Bill Clinton. I suppose it was born of a need for Clinton to pen a book with his wisdom and his experience couched in a fake character. That's fine, but why pick Patterson? He's a hack. Clinton is not. There are so many other writers to buddy up with, Lee Child included.  How cool to have a sort-of Reacher character as maybe the VP who coerced the P into disappearing and the FBI and CIA knew nothing about it!

But I digress.  This book, "The President is Missing" was good for about 75 pages. At that point, for me, it began to disintegrate. I read another 25 pages and tossed it on the floor and stepped on it. It was stupid and a waste of my time.

Sorry, Bill. Write a book on your own. You were President which means you have a good imagination and you can create your own female terrorists (Bach, really?) and you can still have room to spout your Democratic ideology to the masses.  Man up.  Get a gun and a secret car and a better disguise (a hat and fake hair, really?) and make it happen.

No disrespect, Mr. President, but you can do a lot better.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment