Tuesday, September 4, 2018

How do so many days just zip by?

Seriously not kidding, I think about writing so often and then when I do I see that it has been ten days since I penned (ha!  a pen!  what is that?) anything. Is it that the days go by too fast or is it that I am too lazy or that the evenings get away from me or what?  I do not know.

What I do know is this: life is zipping right by. Hell, it is already September 5 (by the time you read this) which means it is pretty much September 15 in a few days which means we are almost done with September.  I, for one, do not mind because it means that after September there is only one really long, crappy month left before the sort of slow season begins in the hospitality industry.  October is always face-planting busy in NoCal. People who live on Mars or in North Dakota (they might be the same people) think that everything closes down in California after Labor Day because it does in North Dakota and on Mars.  They are Shocked, Shocked I tell you! when they discover it is one of the busiest times of the year out here in wine land. Don't get me wrong, October is my favorite month (with November and December as triple winners) because of the perfect weather and the light in the sky like a Monet painting, sort of blue and gold and ethereal. 

November, on the other hand, begins nicely and then levels off to calm for a week or so and then gets all pumped up around Thanksgiving. People who come to the tourist areas around Thanksgiving either have no family to torment or are Jehovah's Witnesses and thus do not celebrate any holidays. (Which is not a bad thing.) But it's an odd crowd around Thanksgiving, they come with absolutely no agenda and they expect you (i.e. me, the front desk person) to plan their stay for them.  "Is anyone doing Thanksgiving dinner tonight?"   ("Well, yes, people who know people are dining in but if you mean can a restaurant accommodate you this evening then the answer is NO.")  These folks visit the local mental hospital Safeway and thus end up eating fried chicken strips and small pieces of cheese with stale crackers for their feast because they didn't realize that no one cares about them, not even the front desk people at their overpriced Airstream hotel. No one cares about hotel guests who did not do their research prior to arriving on a major holiday. No One. Certainly not me!

Ah, but I digress. Back to keeping in touch with my writing.  I will try to do better. I will try to make my actual writing keep pace with my divergent thoughts about writing. Let's see how that works out.

Thank you for listening.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment