Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Update on Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll wrote for the SF Chronicle for so many years, maybe 25 years, I am not sure. (I don't trust Wikipedia.) Once I noticed him and once I read him, I was an instant fan of his writing, his ideology, his political beliefs, his humor, his satire and just about everything else. But then he quit writing a few years ago and I have missed him greatly.

A good friend sent me his current post listing.  It is https://joncarrollprose.com/  If you were a Jon Carroll fan, you can find him there.

This column, his latest, spoke to me. I am not a Writer, I do not have a Writing career but I like to write and I love to read and the word, the words, are very important to me. If I could muster up the gumption to write every day, I would. And I wish I could say that I will.  But I will try. Writing for me is like letting go of my breath. One draws in breath and lets it out on a normal, not conscious level, it is what keeps us alive.  For me, writing is an exercise in letting go, in breathing out, exhaling to cleanse my mind and soul.

I write this blog for that reason: it makes me reflect, makes me "smile and nod" at the world. The writing makes me exhale. The writing centers me and makes me look outside of my own self. I re-read the writing I did last year about the fires and it makes me cry. Some of what I write makes me laugh, always a good thing.

That's all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment