Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lodging quirks

I have noticed a few odd things about people who stay at the inn in Calistoga.  Not that they are odd because it is Calistoga, but more that they are strange because people are strange, oddly quirky, no matter where they are.

First, when I set out the breakfast spread, I always put out two pots of coffee, side by side.  These two pots are exactly alike.  The coffee in them is exactly the same.  But the pot on the right is always empty before the pot on the left.  Why?  Do people gravitate to the right more than the left?  If everyone at the inn was left-handed, would that make a difference?  It is just so odd to me, every time I check the pots the one on the right needs refilling much quicker than the one on the left. 

Dishes:  there is a busing cart and on that cart is a large plastic tub where dirty dishes should be put.  Most people put their dishes in this tub but not all.  Now this is not as mysterious as the Coffee Pot Conundrum but it still rankles me.  If everyone else is taking care of their dirty plates and cups and bowls, why do some people just leave their dishes on the table and walk away?  Do they not see that this is rude and impolite?  Baffling.

Parking:  when one arrives at a hotel/motel and has to check in, isn't the logical thing to park near the office?  Why would you park at the other end of the parking lot, walk over to the office and then ask the desk clerk (me) where to park?  Honestly.  Or they will park near rooms 1 and 2, come and check in and then move their car two parking spaces to be closer to room 3, for example.  Really?  Can't walk that extra six feet? 

Lost and Found:  it is amazing how often people leave things behind in their rooms.  Not just small things like a pair of earrings or shoes or a cell phone charger, of which we now have a huge selection.  Large things like a huge red hanging bag with at least six hangers, heavy like it contained five business suits and an overcoat.  How could you miss this when taking that last glance through the room to see if you forgot anything?  Or a huge ten gallon cowboy hat?  How does that escape your notice?  I know sometimes people put stuff in the closet but wouldn't you think to look there before getting in your car and driving off?  And then they want these things mailed back to them!  Of course, we oblige and charge them but it still astounds me how often this happens.

There are other things as well, like people who insist on knowing how hot the swimming pool is.  I don't know the temperature of the pool, but I have had people ask if I can find out and call them back.  Telling them that it is heated year-round is not enough for them.  Or people ask how far it is to the main street of town and they just drove through the town to get the inn.  Weren't they looking while they were driving?  Or people asking me which I prefer, the geyser or the petrified forest.  I can't answer that because neither appeals to me so I hedge the answer a little and then they look disappointed because I haven't given them the appropriate response and thus planned their day for them. 

Needless to say, I just tell people to go to the visitor center in town and get more information there.  I tell them I don't live near town and so know nothing apart from my little job at the front desk. 

Ah, the tourist/hospitality industry.  Gotta love it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment