Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dogs, daughters, ice cream

Most of you reading this have not yet seen where I live. Most of you reading this have not met my daughter's dog  Bebe.  Therefore, most of you don't know that Bebe is a large dog, probably 80 pounds of solid mass.  Some of you know that my dog, Cooper, is not large but as solid as a 23 pound dog could be.  Cooper and Bebe are good pals.  Bebe and her owner, my daughter Jenn, have spent a couple of nights here in the last week or two, and we have all had a good time.  But honestly, in a space that is less than 325 square feet, two women (neither of which is small in personality nor in size) and two dogs (see above) need to be accommodating in order to make this scenario work. And accommodating we are. 

I get up early and walk the dogs.  The dogs are happy.  I make Jenn coffee.  She is happy.  I go to work.  Everyone is happy.  Jenn leaves and goes to job interviews and she is happier still.  See how this works?  We give each other space, not a bad thing.  The dogs, one large and one small, also know how to dance around each other and they do it well.  Bebe, given her pit bull breed, is the softest, kindest, nicest dog I have ever known, and is afraid of loud cars, school buses, motorcycles and homeless men.  Cooper, the small mutt, has learned that those loud cars, buses, scary men are harmless as long as I am around.  Our morning walks are good. Bebe cowers often and yet is still happy, Cooper pees on every blade of grass.  We all get along.

Some of you know that my relationship with my daughter has been/can be contentious.  This past week, however, it has been wonderful.  She has remarked, not unkindly, that the next time I move I might want to find a place with a workable kitchen.  I do not dispute that fact.  She comes with a blow up air mattress because my bed (and the closet it is in) does not lend itself to sharing so there is no guilt about sleeping uncomfortably.  We both sleep well in our own small space.  And finally, Jenn knows that getting take-out food is a very good idea. It makes up for the fact that the kitchen I have might ostensibly be a kitchen but is in reality another closet.  We are all happy.

The other day, I foolishly bought some Ben and Jerry's Greek Yogurt ice cream, along with a pint of Talenti Sea Salt Caramel ice cream.  Talenti found me in Whole Foods in Texas; it called out to me as I strolled down the frozen food aisle.  Because it is made in Dallas, I thought it would not be available here in California. I was wrong.  Not only is it available in Whole Foods, you can also get it in Safeway. On sale!  So these two ice creams currently reside in my small freezer, side by side, competing, I foolishly thought, for my attention.  This evening I was digging into the frozen Greek Yogurt ice cream, feeling a bit virtuous for eating something less onerous than the Sea Salt Caramel.  But then I stupidly looked at the calorie count of that Greek concoction and it was 200 calories per serving, four servings per container and this was after I had already eaten at least one (no, more than one!!!) serving!  What's the point of eating something that is made from yogurt of Greeks if it isn't low in calories?  I ask you that!  I could have finished the Sea Salt Caramel for a few more calories and been much happier!  Oh Ben and Jerry, how you have tricked me!

I wish I could say I tossed the remaining Greek Yogurt trickster ice cream down the sink but I didn't.  Calories, be damned!  It still tasted fine, but not as fine as that Sea Salt Caramel ice cream.  Make yourselves happy, get some!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment