Saturday, January 24, 2015

Three. Days. Off.

It is difficult to convey how tired I am of working in the hospitality industry for the past several years and how tired I am of simply working.  Six days a week, all year long. From December 8 until yesterday, January 23, I have had 4 days off. Two were spent driving to Sacramento to visit my Mom and two were spent being at home.

But now I have three days off. Today, tomorrow and Monday. After juggling shifts, filling in for my comrades at the front desk, making sure the three days were covered, I am in Daly City at Gabe's house, just me and my dog and theirs.  And a cat.  No. One. Else. It's very quiet. It's very nice. I do not need to be hospitable to anyone, answer no questions about where to eat, where to drink, where to shop. It is very, very nice.

Today I met a friend at the Cliff House, where I haven't been in 25 years. It has changed in those years, of course, and because the weather in SF is incredibly lovely this weekend, it was packed.  But we snagged a window table in the off-side bar and had a glass of wine and some potstickers and talked for two hours. We eventually felt guilty enough to give up our table to the hoards who were waiting but honestly, I could have had another glass of wine and stayed for hours. 

I came back to this house and pretended to read but really took a nap on the couch for two hours. I am reading some books and walking the dogs.  That's it.  Tomorrow I will make dinner for my friend Pat and we will eat and drink and talk and talk some more.  On Monday my plan is to walk the dogs and read.  And read.  And read.

Three days are not enough but three days are a good start.  Or at least they are a good break. We all try to take days off while staying at home but that is never a real break. Staying at home means you can sleep in but instead of being slothful and spending the day reading, you end up doing stuff like cleaning or raking or reorganizing.  You need to get out of Dodge in order to ..... well ....  get out of Dodge. Step away from the vehicle, as it were.

And I am miles away from the vehicle right now. And again, it is very, very nice.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment