Wednesday, January 24, 2018

"The Big Sick" now streaming on Amazon

For a movie that got a lot of press, I can just say one thing: Holly Hunter. This is a toss-away film even if it is based on a true story of a woman who was close to dying and the disparate family values of Pakistan vs American that contribute to the many misunderstandings and conflicts between the two families. Yes, there are the cultural differences and yes, we get tears in our eyes at a few points as the real protagonists of the movie try to make a life together but really, it's another sort of "Romeo and Juliet" without anyone dying.  Two warring families, some really mean things are said and then..... will it all work out in the end?  Who knows?  No sword fights, no poison but too much acrimony and cultural bias to be amusing. 

I love Holly Hunter so every scene she was in resonated with me for no logical reason other than I love watching her.  But take her out of the movie and you are left with Ray Romano (who is fine) and all the other actors. It's simply not enough. Watch it on TV (it streams now on Amazon Prime for free) and let me know what you think.  Perhaps I am just too cynical, and that I would accept. I guess I wanted more and for me, it didn't deliver.



1 comment:

  1. Got it out of the library. It was OK. It showed the challenges of integrating different cultures. It has been awhile since I saw it. Nothing memorable for me.

    ReplyDelete