Friday, May 8, 2020

So much to say, but so little seems to matter.

Before we start, while I go dry my eyes yet one more time, I have two short videos for you to watch. The first was made by my friend Amy, who is trying to find a bit of joy in this current world.  Kleenex at the ready, here it is:  
It takes two minutes to watch it. Watch it.

The second one is from the New York Times, a little video of a doctor treating Covid patients who is also a musician and how she got other classical musicians to make music for those patients, in their rooms, even if they can't respond to the sounds. It is a beautiful tribute to the care and humanity of health care workers, doctors, nurses and patients and therefore of everyone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/nyregion/coronavirus-doctor-musician-rachel-easterwood.html

Those two videos say more than I can put into words. It's crappy time out there, folks, and it ain't gonna bet better soon. But there are tiny good moments of humanity and we need to be aware of those. I don't know about you, but the smallest thing now makes me cry. Words from an old song, hearing that someone's Dad just died, knowing that people are grieving all around us for so many reasons: lost friends, family, lost jobs, lost hope. Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle today sang loudly at me in my car and they both, separately, made me grab at something to dry my eyes.

Yes, everyone is tired of this lockdown but no one is tired of being healthy and safe.  Yes, everyone wants to go to the library, the neighborhood watering hole, the grocery store, the park on the corner and talk without a muffling mask, but everyone is also okay with being able to walk without wheezing. No one can complain that they are too healthy. No one can whine that they are not in a hospital, fighting for air.  We can all be okay with distancing if it means we can breathe. 

I will not address the hoards of people who believe that this virus is just a flu. As I will not address the so-called leadership of this country.   

Be safe and please be happy.  

I wanna watch the ocean bend
the edges of the sun then 
I wanna get swallowed up in
An ocean of love.
                                    Lucinda Williams 







1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I had seen Amy's video before. Someone had posted it on FB. Is that Gabe's friend Amy? I did not realize I had a connection to the creator. Regardless, I loved it.....and the other one.

    ReplyDelete