Sunday, January 29, 2012

Yikes!

It has been a week since I wrote anything here and I am rather miffed about that fact.  I will do better this week, promise.

This is so Facebook stuff, but much of what I write is:  my very good and oldest (I met him when I was 18) friend Flip (John to his other friends) was in Dallas this week. He normally lives in Hawaii.  I suggested that he call my daughter and at least hook up for a drink or a quick dinner.  He made the call and Jenn, being the cook that she is, said why bother going out, come over here and I will cook for you.  He did, she did, and they had a great time.

Flip is one of the few guys I went out with in my youth that I didn't sleep with, a fact that I don't give up lightly but I just did.  (If anyone reading this blog has had better thoughts of me than that, well, sorry. It was the 60's after all.)  We have remained very, very good friends for all these years.  Currently we talk on the phone at least once a week. Flip leads a much more "cutting edge" and active life than I do, but he lets that slide and still loves me.  And I love him.  There are some people that you just love. If they called and said "I need you" it would mean dropping everything and jumping on the next plane to be there. I know Flip would do that for me and he knows I would do that for him.

I think my kids have met him maybe three or four times in their lives, the last being at least 20 years ago. But that Jenn and her girlfriend had Flip over for dinner after all these years makes me so happy!  It's all family.  It's all about the connection, the love, the support, the care.  My connection with Flip goes back years. He helped me through some tough times and I have helped him through the same.  In essence, we grew up together. He used to come over to my house in Torrance, CA on Sunday afternoons and vault over the back fence to have a scotch with my Dad.  He didn't really care if I was there or not, he liked hanging out with my Dad.

I have great stories about me and Flip, and some I will share here in the future.  Suffice it to say that I am happy he is in my life and now in my daughter's as well.  We all (me, Jenn, Gabe, their respective mates)  need to go to Hawaii and let him show us his native state.

That's it for tonight.  Might have a book review tomorrow.  If nothing else I have some stories about the inn in Healdsburg to pass on.  All good.  It's all good.

Thanks again for all of you who are reading along with me and for your patience in waiting for the next episode. I will do better at getting pen to paper (or fingers to keys) in the coming days.


.

1 comment:

  1. I am starting an envelope today for that plane ticket to Hawaii. Who knows how long it will take to fill, but it's worth a shot!!

    ReplyDelete