Saturday, November 23, 2013

Getting nervous

I can't tell if I am getting anxious about taking the long flight to S.E. Asia or if I am just anxious about stuff in general, but I can't sleep.  I can fall asleep easily enough, tucking into my nice bed with nice blankets and the dog next to me and the room nice and cold.  I fall asleep like rain falls from a cloud, silently and seriously.  But then awake I am for reasons not known to me.  (Not to become all Yoda on you.....)  Sometimes there are reasons for waking up, like to pee, and sometimes sleep comes quickly after that, but more often than not it doesn't.

Last night was a banner evening because Cooper had to get up 4 times to go out side and poop.  Well, I suppose he was pooping, I didn't actually track that scat down, but he was assuming the position so pooping seemed to be the activity.  At least it was quick but it still meant getting out of bed in the cold house and opening the back door and waiting.  And being awake.

But that has never happened before so I can't blame my wakefulness on him.  I actually emailed my doctor today and asked for some drugs to take on the trip, not only to help me sleep but for anxiety on the plane. I am worried about my claustrophobic tendencies as much as the not sleeping thing.  We'll see what she responds.

Ah, well, I am no doubt being a big baby about it all.  Sure, it's a 14 hour flight and sure, China Airlines is no doubt safe. Take a big breath and put on those big girl pants and suck it up....

Whew.  OK.  Will do.

Off to bed.  Where did I put that Valium????

1 comment:

  1. I too have experienced claustrophobia on airplanes. The one cure I found was engaging the person next to me in conversation. I explain my anxiety to them and I have found people to be very helpful. For me the key was changing my focus from myself to someone or something else.

    ReplyDelete