Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day, Money, Miscellaneous meanderings

Mother's Day has always made me feel a little uncomfortable, at least 90% of the time. When my kids were little and made me hand-written cards on folded typing paper, I liked it. But it was because I loved those cards and my kids still loved me at that point.  (They still do, now and then.)  As a kid myself, I always felt it was for someone elses mom, ours never seemed the kind you would buy a card for.  Hallmark didn't make cards that said "Happy Mother's Day.  I hope your evil twin is not in residence today, I hope it's the nice doppelganger."   Or "Dear Mom, we all hope that just for today we are not the disappointments we always seem to be to you."   You get the drift.  As I got older,  it was difficult to find a card that didn't wax poetic about how great the Mom was. I simply wasn't a fan of pretending I had a happy childhood and there weren't too many greeting cards that addressed that issue.

Now my kids are grown and unfortunately they no longer make little hand-written cards on folded typing paper. But they do call and that's a good thing. To all mothers out there (if any of them ever read this) I hope you had a happy day.

Onward.

Money: I am a frugal person, I don't spend a lot of money on what I would call frivolous things. I don't buy a lot of clothes, furniture, gadgets, books, jewelry, fancy food.... my spending habits are pretty boring.  But lately I am spending money like I actually had some!  Oh, sure, let's buy six bottles of that delicious Grenache because it's the last year this winery is making it!  Of course I should buy some warm weather shirts because the warm weather is upon us!  Why not stop at the Last Record Store here in Santa Rosa and pick up a couple of CD's I have wanted for a few weeks?  Sure, the dogs could use some new squeaky dog toys that will last about 10 minutes before being ripped apart, let's buy those!  Groceries, there goes $60 dollars. Pedicure, why not!  ACK!  I need to stop!  It's like the less money I feel I have the more stuff I need to purchase.  Take a deep breath and put the credit card away, only to be taken out for gas for the car. Everything else, cash. No cash?  No purchase!  That simple.  God knows I could eat out of the pantry for a few weeks, or the freezer, or skip a few meals.  OK.  Good.  Got that settled.

Work:  I don't write much about work here because blogs are a kind of social media and I have no idea if the people I work with (or for) ever read blogs and if they do, might they ever read mine?  The odds of that seem so ridiculously small that I am breaking my rule right now and spilling some beans about work. Can we say Drama?  I swear, lesbians have nothing in the drama department compared to my fellow hotel workers.  (Well, that's an overstatement.  Lesbian Drama tops all drama, especially since I live with one and she was a drama queen way before she was a lesbian, so there's a double whammy right there!  Thank goodness she NEVER reads this blog!)  But seriously, all the whining and the complaining and the niggling little back-biting that is going on at work right now makes me want to shake my fists and scream "STOP IT!  SHUT THE FUCK UP!"  It's like working with a class of fourth graders: this one doesn't like that one because the other one likes the first one and the third one feels left out and she was mean to him and he didn't like that and on and on. It will all fade away, of course, and some other silliness will replace this pre-adolescent preoccupation with perceived personal slights.  I just hope that happens pretty soon before I have to slap some people.

Finally, it's a beautiful day.  The weather is suppose to heat up this week (which is why I had to buy some new shirts, right?)  but at this moment, it's lovely.  I am alone tonight (happily) and have a nice rib eye steak that I will grill and there is a delicious bottle of red wine waiting to be opened (perhaps one of the afore mentioned Grenache!) and some random thing to watch on TV.  Then tomorrow it's up at 5:45 and the week begins again.  I don't usually have weekends off, it never matters to me to have my weekend on Saturday and Sunday, but that's how it worked out this time.  So Happy Weekend, Happy Day of Mom's and Happy Monday to you all.  Thanks for reading.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment