Sunday, May 24, 2015

A break from drug addled roommates, on to ice cream toppings, sort of

While I await the return of the prodigal druggie roommate, I am eating the ice cream he brought last night.  Vanilla, how boring.  But wait!  I can make sauce.  Several months ago I told you how to make a delicious and quick caramel butterscotch sauce for your ice cream.  If you lost that recipe, it is below. But I wanted something as quick and easy and cheap that was chocolate centric.  And here it is. Nothing we don't have in our fridge most of the time.  I added a bit of instant espresso powder (not granules, mind you. Powder please.)  You could probably toss in a little Grand Marnier or some such flavoring if you want.  But who cares, it's going on ice cream, no need to be all high-end about it.

I made a half recipe but here's the full and I left out some steps, like melting the chocolate first, who cares.  It turned out perfect.
Put into a small saucepan 4 oz of semi sweet chocolate.  (I didn't have that, used half dark choc and half unsweetened).  And 1 cup packed brown sugar, one half cup cream and 1 tablespoon butter.  A generous pinch of salt.  Stir over very low heat until it melts. (You don't have to stand there the entire time.)  You could put in a teaspoon of vanilla but I didn't. Basically 3 ingredients, chocolate, brown sugar and cream.  A miracle!!!!

So here's the original butterscotch sauce, so easy: one quarter cup butter, melted.  Add a half cup packed brown sugar, half cup cream.  Melt all together and add a nice pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla if you  like. That's it. It is so delicious and so easy.   I have thought recently of tossing in a square of unsweetened chocolate, I think that would be nice.

Both will keep a week or two in the fridge and who doesn't want that sort of stuff on hand?  Who knows when you will have hungry drug cookers in your kitchen who want ice cream after they blow up what looked like a brown bag of soot on your stove?  How entertaining that would be!  Sundaes for everyone, even the crack smoking meth heads who trash your house! Give, Give, Give!!!!

Oh, sorry, I digressed there for a minute.  But I have ice cream and saucy sauces, come on over and I can at least give you wine and dessert.  Seriously.  Just don't use my kitchen for burning your meth. Or my tin foil for making little pipes that you then throw on my patio. Or my back yard for peeing. Or my front porch as a repository for your trash.

Oh, digression again. Sorry.  But I still have the ice cream and you are all invited.

until tomorrow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment