Saturday, January 30, 2016

What a cute galette!

For last evening's repast, which was mostly just snacky stuff, I made two galettes and some other things.  Now, to me (and to Stacey) the word "galette" is just fun to say.  "Oh, is that a fez you are wearing?  No, it's my new galette!"  Or "Are you running the marathon this year?  No, but I am running the galette in Spain this summer!"  Or even "Is that a galette I see near the moon?  No, stupid, that's called a cloud. Duh."

Galette. Basically a nice flaky crust that holds together something tasty.  (Or a hat, or a running course, or a kind of cloud, who can really say?)  The cool thing is that everything tastes better wrapped in a pastry crust and thus one can put anything in there.  Someone last evening said "you can put Cooper's food in that crust and we would love it!"  That is an exaggeration, only because Cooper's food is dry and tasteless, but the sentiment was correct.  When it comes out of the oven, it looks like this: 

butternut squash and caramelized onion galette

only shinier (because I put an egg wash on the crust)  and bubbly and so, so good.  I made a caramelized onion and butternut squash galette and a caramelized onion and mushroom (with a tiny bit of bacon) galette and they were both outstanding.  I think a sautéed leek and apple galette would be good, or caramelized onion and Italian sausage and mushroom galette would be excellent as well.  Or toss some sugar into that dough and it is now dessert!

Yum. And yes, there is butter in that flaky crust but who cares?  I am  not the "it's the new year, I must do a cleanse and eat only water and air and tiny bits of kohlrabi" sort of person so I like gluten and butter.  And I love caramelized onions (who doesn't?) and other veggies all wrapped up in a glowing crusty goodness.  (And yes, my belly will attest to all of that and I don't care.)

Find a good, sturdy, easy dough and make yourself a galette.  Or wear one on your head.  Or try to fly one with a string and a nice wind.  Galette. Galette.  It's sort of like saying something simple in French (which it is, I suppose) and smiling at the same time.

more galettes:

tomato, corn and zucchini galette


roasted leek and white bean galettes

nectarine almond tart  and that one is with fruit, how nice it looks.

OK, happy galetting!

.


No comments:

Post a Comment