Sunday, February 21, 2016

"I'll See You in My Dreams" movie review

A movie with Blythe Danner and Sam Elliott.  Well, right there I am all in.  And about old people, older than me!  Daily double!  A simple plot with quirky characters, to tell too much makes it seem bigger than it is.  But I think what makes it work is Blythe Danner.  I have always been a big fan of hers and it's really nice to see her back again in a fine role.

There was a moment when I thought "Oh, yeah, sure, after being alone for 20 years she meets a man like Sam Elliott who has a fishing boat and money and a fast car and she falls in love.... what a fairy tale!"  And it sort of is for a few moments, but not with a necessarily happy ending. But a real ending of sorts. This is a movie that reminds us (as if we needed reminding) that life is not safe and easy and predicable but jumpy and full of hurdles and yet sometimes nice.  And at the same time, sometimes not. 

Bottom  line, it's worth the $3.99 on Amazon and as corny as some of it might seem, the heft of it isn't schmaltzy at all. It is worth so much more than four bucks to see and hear Danner sing "Cry Me a River" in a great scene in a bar, the best rendition of that song you will hear in a long time.  The movie is more bittersweet than anything, and Blythe Danner is so good. It has some stellar moments and it ends on the perfect note, which for me is rather rare.  Check it out.  Again, two thumbs up, the second night in a row!  What's up with that? 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment