Saturday, September 3, 2016

Bill Murray, St. Vincent, great dinner and pesto

For some reason, I love Bill Murray. Not just his comic side but his every side. The movie "St. Vincent" came out last year and got good reviews but wasn't well received because, I think, Bill Murray isn't all that funny in it and it isn't pretty or cute.  I loved it. I totally loved it. If you hate Bill Murray, then don't watch it.  But if you like him or even tolerate him watch it.  It is free streaming on Netflix.

Vincent is a drunk, a liar, a loser and a slob. But he is also aware and ......  well, no other adjectives come to mind that are positive until you get 30 minutes into the movie. Then he is sort of caring and kind of helpful and a bit educational.  Vincent is also watchful and sometimes wise. 

Now we all know I hate redemption movies, where the main protagonist is a dick but is turned into a lesser dick at the end of the movie because he does some nice things.  That sort of happens here but it isn't too egregious and so you don't feel like throwing up.  To tell you the truth, I cried like a baby at one point.  Just saying. 

Watch it. Bill Murray is amazing and Naomi Watts plays a great Russian hooker/pole dancer, a role I would have never thought of for her. Melissa McCarthy is good but the best is the kid, who is as cynical as Vincent and he's only about twelve years old.  I liked the kid a lot. 

Two thumbs up.  

Oh, the dinner.  Pesto, the next post. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment