Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Walking the dog.....dog walking....dog knows.....

Every night Cooper and I walk around the block.  Where we lived before I could just let him out into the backyard and he would pee and poop and come back in.  Ain't happening here, so we walk. The story on the street changes nightly. At the end of our block we go left onto McConnell and then the next street is Mendocino, and that corner houses Little Caesars Pizza which is always busy. Great smells come from that place, Cooper loves it. Weekends are busy times twenty.  Sunday nights are busy times ten. Weeknights are busy times one or two, depending on the time. Tonight at 9:15 there were two peeps waiting, at least that I could see, but four more cars in the parking area waiting maybe for something other than pizza?  Don't know.

Cooper is a good buffer. Me: fat old gray haired woman alone.  Me with dog: who cares but hey, that's a cute dog, what kinda dog is that, hey little guy, he want's some pizza, nice dog there....  I just smile. 

We pass that Little Caesar guy and we round the corner, turning left and we pass the Video Droid place, which I have never entered, but I wonder how they stay in business renting DVDs. But it's pretty hopping on weekends, so there you are. They maintain. 

And then past Chick Fil A, on Mendo.  It's busy most of the time but I will never eat there. Their anti-gay policy is legend.  No one should ever eat there.  Cooper pees on their plants and I give him praise for that. We then go by the Coinless Laundromat, which is always occupied, from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm, with every walk of life.  The very early mornings see single homeless men sitting watching the TV. Later in the morning are the people like me, just doing laundry.  Later in the day are Moms with kids. At night it's a crap shoot, people like me, Moms, Dads, Grammas, more homeless people, more young people, a bit of everyone.  It's a fine place to do laundry.  I don't mind doing laundry there. It is a place that equalizes everyone and that happens too rarely in our world. We all have dirty clothes. 

Cooper and I round the next corner, past the Odd Fellows Hall. I will do some research to find out the meaning about such a stupid name.  Really, you couldn't have just been the Awkward Guys Hall?  Or just Fellows Hall?  The Odd part is so off-putting.

And then around that corner turning left onto our street and straight on to home. Four left turns.  Cooper has peed, sometimes pooped, smelled stuff and it is time for bed. 6:00 am comes early, and so we go to bed early. It's always a nice walk, often people say hello, just strangers in the 'hood. Tonight was the first night that the air felt chilly. Cold air is a good sign, at least to me. Autumn might be here on the calendar, but it has yet to show it's face on my street. Tonight was a portent of that autumn. I am looking forward to its arrival.

Bonne nuit.  Je t'aime.  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment