Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Among the losers at the laundromat, getting a contact high while cleansing one's clothes

No judgement here, of course, because I am one of those laundry-losers, one who has reached the ripe old age of 67 and still takes dirty clothes and a stack of quarters to a public place to wash and dry.  However, the age demographic at my personal laundromat is way younger than 67, more like 27 or 22.  But we are all polite, sometimes even loaning a fellow launderer a quarter for that last bit of drying.

Because smoking weed is now commonplace and legal and thus bordering on boring, everyone (except me) in the laundromat is either high, getting high, losing the high or just carrying a ton of product on them because I swear it smells like a cargo plane full of weed smoke.  I am surprised my clothes and I don't exit the building smelling like a soggy high school joint that has been relit a dozen times. It isn't an unpleasant smell, but it is very strong.  But still, it is way better to smell skunky weed than smell the occasional borderline homeless person who hasn't bathed in a month, reeking of body sweat, pee and other unmentionable fluids and solids.  The last time that happened I had to hold my breath while I took my clothes out of the washer and put them into the dryer.  How the person didn't smell himself and gag constantly was bewildering.

But going to a laundering place has its benefits (other than getting high) because you can wash and dry every single thing you own, including sheets, towels, blankets, in under 90 minutes.  That takes into consideration that some of those heavy things will need to  be in the dryer for at least two cycles. If you have light things, just regular clothes, you can be in and out in less than 55 minutes!  Yes, it costs some money but it takes so little time to do a ton of clothes. I go about once a week, sometimes with one load (like today) and sometimes with six loads. 

Would I like laundry facilities where I live?  Sure.  But do I hate laundry day?  Nope. There's a camaraderie about maneuvering around other people's loads of laundry and jockeying for dryers and giving someone the last five minutes of dryer use that you don't need and acknowledging that hey, we all have dirty laundry to air and there's no shame in it airing it in a public place because in the end, we go home with clean stuff and everyone is happy about that. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment