Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Hot, hotter, hottest

It's boring to talk about the weather but it's so all encompassing right now that it's difficult NOT to talk about it. This heat is too intense and relentless. I don't care what people say about the "dry heat isn't as bad as the humidity" because right now that's a load of crap. This heat is really, really awful. My little cement duplex absorbs the heat and holds it like a trophy. The house does not cool down. When I came home from work on Saturday it was 86 in the house. I tossed the dogs in the car, went to dinner at a friends where it was also 86 in the house (no AC). When I returned to my place at 8:00 it was 92 in my house. I kid you not. I got into the shower with all my clothes on, turned on the cold water and stood there until I was soaked. It was miserable all night long. In the morning, at 6:00 a.m. the temp had fallen to 86. Wow. 

Same thing on Sunday. Same thing on Monday. Today I am spending the night in Pt. Reyes because I am working there for the next several days. It will be at least ten degrees cooler there and the nights will be nicer as well.

There is a small window AC unit being delivered this week and I will figure out how to install it in my front window. It won't help the bedroom but that's fine. Worse case I will sleep in the living room, on the floor, AC and fans running. 

Yes, whining about the heat is a stupid act. I have a house, water, electricity, a toilet that flushes, all that stuff, I am lucky in many ways. However, this heat exhausts me. It feels like being wrapped in hot plastic most of the time. I go to sleep in a wet tank top with a fan aimed at the bed.  I, for one, miss the winter rains, the need for blankets, the joy in turning on the oven.  I have not cooked anything in a week and my love of salad has waned because it's too hot to rip lettuce into pieces. My dinners consist of crackers and cheese, sometimes augmented with Beer-Nuts. It's too hot to even fry an egg. I eat a lot of apples and drink a lot of French rose wine. At least that part is pleasant. 

OK, thanks for listening. Time for another cold shower.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment