Friday, July 7, 2017

The miracle of a window AC unit, revised

At this moment, it is 96 degrees outside.  It is hot.  But inside, it is a nice, refreshing 73 degrees and hopefully getting cooler.  My little window AC is working quite nicely, and I don't care what my electric bill looks like this month, this puppy is going to get me through this awful heat of summer.

It has a timer, so when I leave for work in the morning, I set it to come on around noon.  When I return from work, it is on and is blowing its cold air around the room. Sometimes it's a little too cool for Cooper, the dog with little fur. He sits on the couch and shivers a bit, I cover him with a light blanket.  Big baby.  I love it.  I only wish I had one in every room, but one never gets what one wishes for, one just gets what one pays for.

This is the best thing I have bought all summer, after the half case of French rose wine, and since they compliment each other, we are all happy here.  For now.  You know me, I am never happy all the time.  Just now and then, sometimes, and this is one of those times.   YAY!

Addendum:  now, at closer to 6:00 pm it is 80 degrees in my place, still cooler than outside, where it's still over 90.  I have the AC unit on, ceiling fan, floor fan, other fan in my bedroom.  Again, the concrete bunker box I live in absorbs the heat and holds it like a dog with a dead rat. Clamped jaws, nothing getting out.  But still, without my little AC unit, it would be 90 in here, so it's still working for me.  Might have to turn it on when I leave for work in the morning and let little Cooper shiver his way through the 8 hours I am gone.  Too bad, little buddy, go hide in the wine closet where it's always a toasty 80 these days.  Sad for the wine, but not for me, it means drinking it quickly before the heat ruins it!

I was planning on grilling a chicken tonight, but it will wait until tomorrow when it won't be quite as hot, close but a few degrees cooler. Standing over a charcoal grill when it's 92 in the yard is an unnatural act, and we all know I hate those!  It's like being on the bike today at the gym and a guy comes and sits on the bike next to me, and I don't know if he has Tourette's Syndrome or what but after less than ten minutes I had to leave.  Shouting out weird noises, unintelligible phrases and making really strange sounds, it was disconcerting and somewhat alarming.  Why that has a connection to grilling in 92 heat, I don't know, other than both are a bit unnatural.

and on that, I say good night. 




No comments:

Post a Comment