Friday, February 16, 2018

"The Shape of Water"

Fantasy movies are not my preference but getting out of the house was my goal and therefore Steve and I saw "The Shape of Water" this afternoon.

It is a lovely movie, very well done, saturated themes, dialogue, scenes. Taking place in the early 1960's, there is that Cold War sterility that pervades some of the movie but it is offset by the playfulness of a fantasy film. Things that would never happen in real life happen in the life of this movie and it is easy to accept them because, from the first scene, it is a fantasy. 

My preference in movies is more realistic than this one but I liked this film and appreciated all the thought and artistic direction that made it so wonderful to watch.  I knew very little about it but that made no difference. It is basically a love story and a kind of Romeo and Juliet story, two people from different backgrounds falling in love, and what viewer would not fall for that? There is also the Evil Guy, the one we need to fear, played so well by Michael Shannon with all the campy Cold War drama we know so well. Plus, any movie with Richard Jenkins.... well, count me in. I have never seen  him be anything but perfect in whatever character he plays. 

I am glad I saw this movie, and it is easy to recommend for its quirky qualities and its kindness of character and its innate beauty. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment