Saturday, December 15, 2018

Back in the USSA

Gee it's good to be back home.
Leave it til tomorrow to unpack the case.
Honey disconnect the phone.

Packed flight out of CDG on Thursday but uneventful. Stayed at Gabe and Annie's, eye doc appointment Friday morning in San Mateo and then back to Santa Rosa yesterday afternoon. Home today, back to work tomorrow.

There is always the moment of happiness when coming home because of one's own bed, coffee, couch. But there is also that huge wave of sadness that sweeps over you (or at least over me) while driving home because that's it. The vacation is over. Life as I knew it for the past two weeks is done and life as I know it for the next 50 weeks is here. We work all the time and vacations take up such a small space of our lives when compared to the space that work eats up. 

It was very nice to be in a country that didn't understand me and sometimes the inverse was also nice: I didn't understand it. There are those random things that you never consider when planning a trip, those random things that totally make you crazy. On the Autoroute you have toll roads and you come up on them pretty quickly. There are three options, one for people with a pass, one for people who take a ticket and another for ....... I have no idea. But the signage is pictorial, there are no words explaining anything so the first time I encountered the tolls I quietly freaked out. I think I also drove through one and didn't pay because I was at a loss of what to do. This is a situation no one tells you about and therefore you are totally unprepared for. It does wake you up.

Oh well, in the end it matters little, I suppose. It was a good vacation, I learned things about France and about myself. I believe that if you don't learn something about yourself while thousands of miles away from your comfort zone you are probably either brain dead or a zombie, or both. 

But I am tired and tomorrow is a work day (bleah) so it is off to bed for me. Tune in tomorrow, more to come.

landscape photography of Eiffel Tower during nighttime

 I did not take this photo, but it sure is pretty.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment