Monday, January 21, 2019

Total eclipse of my mind, duh.

As did so many people, I read about the eclipse of the moon that took place last night and all about the Blood Red Moon and all of that. In that small part of my brain that holds the file on "Random Scientific Events" I filed it in the front so I would realize it was happening when I walked the dogs on Sunday night.

Here is what really took place. On Sundays I work until 6:00 and therefore it is close to 6:40 as I come east on River Road, aiming for Highway 101.  It was a long rainy day but just as I was about a mile from 101 the clouds scurried away for a minute and I saw this amazing huge moon and I actually said, out loud, "Holy Cow, look at that!"  (I often say things out loud in the car even when Cooper is not with me. Often times they are swearing things, bad words aimed at other drivers, but last night the words were aimed at that enormous moon. No bad words were uttered.)  I continued to stare at that moon until I had to resume concentrating on driving and getting home.

Once home, I took Cooper and little Hannah (a dog, not a person) out for a walk and then returned, fed them, had a cocktail and then some soup and finally it was time for their last walk of the evening, around 10:30.  Imagine my surprise when I saw the moon at that time and it was less than a quarter of the full moon I saw just 4 hours before! Seriously, I stood on the sidewalk shaking my head and I said, again out loud, this time to the two dogs "What the fuck?  How is this possible? I know I saw a full moon, what is going on?"  The dogs had no response.  Neither did I so I simply continued on, walked them, came back and went to bed and thought nothing of it.

Well, you can imagine how dismayed I was this morning when I read all about the eclipse and the red moon and on and on.  I had, indeed, seen a huge moon and I did also see a quarter moon but did I put those two things together with the concept of the eclipse, which I was looking forward to?  Of course not. Stupid and forgetful, yes. Major DUH moment. I was disappointed that I had forgotten the entire eclipse thing and was a bit unsettled as well. Should I be concerned about my crappy memory?  Maybe. It isn't crappy all the time but ..... perhaps it isn't even outside the norm but at my age one considers these kinds of memory failures to be a portent of what's to come. 

Don't tell my kids about this. They don't read this blog so it will be up to me to monitor my forgetfulness. It does give me pause, I must admit.

OK, time for bed. Another work day tomorrow. I hope I remember to set the alarm.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment