Sunday, February 17, 2019

"Hamlet" in town but no dogs in Shakespeare

For some time I have known that there is good local theater in these reaches of the North Bay but until today I have not enjoyed the thespian talents of those theaters. But having read a very nice review of a local production of "Hamlet" I decided to go. It was very good, especially the actor who portrayed the lead. "Hamlet" is a very long play, more than three hours and the fourth act is a bit draggy but once Ophelia is dead (not a spoiler) it picks up again for the last act with the sword fighting scene and lots of dead people on the stage at the end. Not that one attends the theater for death and mayhem but hey, it doesn't hurt the drama quotient and it keeps the viewer awake.  And no one really died, it is theater after all.

There was one point in the play when Ophelia is weeping for her dead father and it was so touching and emotional that viewers were sniffling, wiping tears from their eyes. In the next act, when Ophelia is dead and her brother Laertes is weeping, one could hear a couple of young viewers crying as well. That's how gripping the acting was in this play.

Let's be clear, I did not cry. I am a hardass about Shakespeare. The cool thing is that he managed to put small comic bits in every tragedy, and some of those I caught and chuckled at. The director of this rendition of "Hamlet" made use of those moments, and for that I applaud her.

I had no idea that the Spreckels Theater in Rohnert Park was such a cool venue. It seats about 550 people but it seems a lot smaller. Good acoustics and it doesn't have a bad seat in the place. I will definitely attend other productions. It is so close to me, about 15 minutes, and if today's performance is any indication, all I can say is YAY! 

However, there are no dogs in Shakespeare plays. (Did they not have pets then or did they eat dogs that were roaming around the 'hood?)  Since I left Cooper at Jenn and Dar's  house (dashing out of my work venue to get to the matinee on time) I do not have my small little man-dog here this evening and it is very odd to be at home without that appendage. (And I mean 'appendage' in a good way.) Tonight I realized that I talk to Cooper quite often and without him here I am just talking to myself. I shake my head at myself many times.

From what I read, Shakespeare wasn't a fan of dogs, or at least the culture of that time thought of dogs as mere trifles, not to be cared for. As one writer said, the Bard had no kind words for dogs: The overwhelming impression from the numerous references Shakespeare made to dogs, is that, with the exception of hunting hounds, these animals were nothing but nuisances in his world. They were dirty, dangerous, and bothersome. Even when they were being friendly, their fawning could not be trusted.

Had the Bard met Cooper, he might have had a different opinion. In the meantime, I will talk to my dog, with or without him present. As the Bard said in "Hamlet":  The cat will mew and the dog will have its day.
For whatever that's worth.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment