Thursday, August 1, 2019

"Hamilton" was amazing!!!

To say that I have the best kids ever always seems a little like hyperbole because how could I ever know what all the other kids are like in the world. But I am pretty sure that my kids are not like other kids in the world: they are rock stars extraordinaire!  

About two months ago Gabe emailed me, Jenn and Dar and asked us if we were available for something on July 31.  We said yes, we put it on our calendars and we had no idea what was in store. A baseball game, a private chef, a pop-up restaurant, a magic show, a downstairs poker game..... and many other scenarios ran through our minds.  We didn't figure we would be seeing "Hamilton" because the cost of the tickets is rather pricey..... 

But yesterday we gathered at Gabe's house, then took BART downtown and got off.... pretty much right in front of the Orpheum Theater where the play was showing.  WOW. But it wasn't just that. We walked two blocks to a cool hotel and had dinner in a cooler hotel bar with amazing cocktails and snacks and Gabe just kept the hits coming.

To say that "Hamilton" is a cultural phenomenon is too trite. It has raised the bar for what plays can be, musicals in particular. That you can write, design, produce and create a play about a real historical character and have the music and lyrics be in the style of rap music, have most of the cast be people of color, have historical authenticity (95% of the time) and have it be wildly successful, immediately approachable and timeless is nothing short of genius. 

And "Hamilton" is genius. It is also incredibly funny, engaging, emotional, educational and straight up amazing. I am so, so grateful I got to see it, thanks to Gabe, and the four of us had such a great evening.

If you know nothing about the music, get the soundtrack out of the library (or buy it) and listen. Here is a clip from the Broadway cast, but watching it I know that the cast I saw last night was better, even though this youtube piece has Lin-Manuel Miranda as Hamilton. I think my SF Hamilton was better.....  just saying.  But watch the clip, it gives you a tiny idea of how the play happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYM_ydlqF0

I sincerely hope you, whoever you are, get to see this extraordinary play.

I am not throwing away my shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment