Monday, July 29, 2019

Lettuce from my front yard! A miracle!

It is no secret that I am not a farmer sort of person. I have failed at growing zucchini and mint, two plants that are almost weeds. Tomatoes, forgetaboutit. But a previous tenant in my little duplex left a raised planter and I decided to give it one more shot. 

I planted radish seeds and carrot seeds in May. Within weeks I harvested radishes! I was quite proud, even knowing that kindergarten teachers have their kids plant radishes because they grow quickly and rarely fail.  The carrots did come up eventually but they were.... sub prime, let's say.

In early June I drove past a private school on Mark West Springs Road, burned-out lots all around, and kids were on the side of the road with signs about produce for sale. It seemed a hopeful endeavour so I pulled over and was tricked by enterprising elves into buying a six-pack of mixed lettuce starts. These tiny plants were about three inches tall and very frail. I gently planted them in my raised bed and hoped for the best and expected nothing. For three weeks they languished, not really growing but not dying either. Suddenly, near the end of June they took off like a Roman Candle, sprouting up and growing all sorts of leaves. By July 4th I was picking lettuce every day and I am still picking it!  Since I work at a place that has no kitchen, one needs to bring food to eat and salad is what I bring every day.

These tiny, fragile lettuce plants have given me so much lettuce that I have given it to my new neighbor. I cannot eat as much as is produced! And it is delicious!  Very tasty and some is crispy enough to be crunchy in a sandwich. This is the first thing I have grown that has been a success and I could not be more pleased.

Yes, I know most of you out there will scoff..... but for me and my black thumb, it's sort of amazing! Food coming out of the dirt! YAY for me.

A picture is below. It's getting a bit rangy right now, the heat makes it want to bolt and go to seed but I am trying to keep it producing as long as I can.  Who knows what is next?  Perhaps swiss chard?  Winter radishes?







No comments:

Post a Comment