Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Chalkboard dog

There is a small preschool in a house one down from my place and when I walk Cooper in the morning, early, we often see parents dropping off their kids. We, me and Cooper, always say hello, many of the parents and kids are familiar with our presence near the gate.

This was a dialogue from one of those mornings last week.  I saw the Dad, he was taking the kid out of the car. They both saw Cooper and thus this:

Dad:  Oh, what kind of a dog is that?  (I get this a lot.)
Me: Well, it's the good kind! Sort of a mix, a mutt, basically.
Kid: But what kind? 
Me:  Well, he's not a regular sort of dog, he's like a dog you draw on paper, or on the chalkboard, sort of in black and white.
Kid: Oh. (there's a pause....)   And then he comes to life!

Me: (there's a pause)  YES! And he came to life!
Me and Dad: chuckling.

Seriously, I almost cried. Cooper is now my Chalkboard Dog.
It sounds silly and the entire interaction took maybe 10 seconds but it was profound in its small way and it made my week.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment