Saturday, June 27, 2020

ACK: I hugged someone!

It's dark on my patio, but my laptop gives me enough light to type and therefore the day continues. Or maybe it's the night that carries on. All I know is that this was a good day, one that got me outside, with a few people I love and it felt like the old days. You know, the days before March 18, when everything changed and we were all shut away in our little places. How many people have you touched since the middle of March? If you live with someone you like, you're lucky. At least you have someone you can hug, touch, maybe even kiss, rub their hair politely, you can even hold hands with that person. When you live alone none of that happens unless you count the dog. Which I do these days. I count rubbing Cooper's belly as touch and I count fondling his ears (they are so soft!) as a nice peaceful and meaningful contact.  Sad, yes. But true.

But I digressed there. Today Gabe and Annie and our mutual friend Amy were in my neighborhood and we went wine tasting! What a remarkable thing that is! Who knew, wine tasting.....   well from the pre-pandemic days it was a thing. Now it's a Thing, one that demands masks and reservations and six feet separation and although it could be "special" and pretentious, in this case it was simply pleasant.  Wine was good, the wine maker was kind, informative and chatty in a good way. It was an Outing, and we loved it.

Then, to top the day off, Gabe, Annie and Amy came back to my tiny place and we made use of the lovely patio with the lovely green umbrella and we ate things we gathered from local restaurants and we drank whatever wines were hanging about:  Iron Horse Sparkling, a French rose, a local Dolcetto, some more French wine, white this time.... we ate and drank and laughed and had cookies and more wine. To say it was lovely would be like saying my dog likes bacon: an understatement of immense proportion. Best evening ever, since the last time I had friends over which was June 13. But the difference was that no one argued with anyone. We just all enjoyed the company of each other.

Everyone just left, I know they will get home safely and I know they will be back. It was just too good of an evening not to repeat.  I hope for everyone out there that they have people they can trust, people that have been safe and secure and are therefore good to be with. We all miss the touch of loved ones, we all miss good conversation, good meals shared with friends and the camaraderie of friends. We all know safety comes first but love crowds that for a close second.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment