Saturday, August 1, 2020

Yes, this is sort of cheating but still.....

I am giving you someone else's words today, as I randomly do.  Ian Frazier is a very good writer and this piece spoke to me so clearly that I must share it.  He has written mostly about travel so you must realize that I have read most of his work.  Right now, this day and every day, I long for a road trip: to the Eastern Sierras where the summer heat smells like sagebrush and wild trees, back to the Southern States where so much of our county's history was formed, to Death Valley with Tom to watch the rising sun over those sand dunes.  The long, straight roads through Wisconsin, the winding roads up the coast from Southern California, the wide-open roads of the wide-open lands of Montana.  I want all of them and I want them now.

Frazier mirrors my longing in this article.  I haven't been on that train in Russia nor have I eaten frozen kielbasa for breakfast but I did drive through a thunder-and-lightning storm from mid-Louisianna into Mississippi last spring (2019) and, like Frazier, felt "... a power that could squash you flat."  Road trips give you such a sense of place and of purpose, even if they are purposeless and meandering. They teach you so much that you never knew you didn't know, not just about the roads and counties and states and countries you are driving through but about yourself as well. Don't get me started, I could talk about road trips for hours.

Read this if you care to and enjoy it. And start planning your next adventure.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2415424/comfort-in-motion-traveling#close

No comments:

Post a Comment