Monday, December 12, 2022

Going to the Dogs, Part 4

 The second shift of walking SPCA dogs was last Wednesday, a brisk morning of about 30 degrees. Leaving my tiny, warm cottage at 6:30 seems ridiculous, of course, until I get to the site and start visiting the dogs in their prison cells.  I could be Jack the Ripper and they wouldn't care, I'm a body with a leash and with a pocketful of snacks!  I'm going to let them out into the cold morning air to pee and poop and run around and pretend to be free for a few minutes. Needless to say, these dogs are excited to see me.

There must be a better way to get these pups harnessed up than my method which is leaning over, chasing them around, bribing them with pieces of turkey hot dogs in my attempt to get them to calm down so I can secure the harness. By the end of my two hour shift my lower back was screaming at me from the leaning over the dogs. Walking them is one thing: some are over 80 pounds and are very strong but I am fine with that. It's the harnessing that's killing me.

But I will return in two days to try again. The temp for Wednesday morning will be below freezing again but the dogs keep me moving so it doesn't seem so bad. 

There are dogs who have been at the shelter for a couple of months and there are some I have enjoyed who have been adopted in the few weeks I have been there. It's always a joyful moment when I look at the board of about 30 dogs and don't see one that was there the week before. The beautiful three-legged husky, Selene, found her home two weeks ago and I truly hope it works out for her and her new guardians.  

Cross your fingers that my back holds out. I am buying stock in an ibuprofen manufacturer pretty soon.  

Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment