Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Old, older, close to oldest?

 Here's an example of false reality: you're watching a movie, an older movie, and you think: "Wow, this is a good film but it's been a while since I originally watched it.  Maybe 20 - 25 years?"  And you look up the year the movie was made and it was  36 Fucking Years Ago!  25 years is bad enough but 36?  That's half of my lifetime! That's ridiculous and terribly depressing and shocking. 

There is nothing to say about this other than it happens more and more. I am always prepared for an older movie with older stars, like Audrey Hepburn or Burt Lancaster or Cary Grant to be old.  I am never shocked when I watch movies with actors like that and see that they were made 50 or 60 years ago, in the 1960's, for example. For some reason, that seems appropriate. But a movie with Tom Cruise and Paul Newman?  Tom Cruise isn't dead and it was still made 36 years ago.  He should be dead by now.  But wait, he is younger than me by 12 years so I give him that benefit.  And Paul Newman has been dead for 14 years but for some reason I think of him as just a couple of years older than myself.  But NO!  He was a contemporary of my Mother, who was born in 1920.  Newman was born in 1925!  That fact alone makes me sadly crazy.

OK, I know, I know....I am on the cusp of being oldest. But it's a hard reality to accept, especially when you're watching a film that seems part of your past and you realize it's part of the way-way-back past. When you were a kid. Hardly a grownup, even though you already had a ten year old daughter.

YIKES!  The harsh reality never stops.

Back to the movie. I hope Paul Newman gets younger and Cruise gets older.  It's fiction after all.




No comments:

Post a Comment