Thursday, January 5, 2023

More of the canines: Part 5

The past three Wednesdays have been good with the SPCA dogs. I finally figured out how to get the dogs I want and how to not be pressured into walking the really jumpy and large dogs. There have been a lot of small dogs at the shelter for some reason, and all of them are so, so cute.  But if they are there on a particular Wednesday morning there is no guarantee they will still be there the following week. The little guys get adopted quickly so one should not get attached to them. 

Yesterday at 7:00 a.m. it was pouring rain.  Taking the little dogs out in the rain was almost painful: they get soaked and cold very quickly and for most of them it wasn't how they wanted to spend their morning. Dry and warm and in their kennels sounded a lot better, but out they go to pee and poop and then to either go for a walk around the property or pop into an unused training room so they can play and run around inside. The big dogs cared less about the rain, they were happy just to have a 15 minute reprieve from incarceration. And to have a person dry them off and pet them. All the dogs are so needy for love and attention.

There are dogs at the SPCA that are simply too big and jumpy and thus it's almost impossible (for me) to harness them. After attempting to overcome the size and jump factors, I just gave up on walking these dogs. Since I am the only volunteer over the age of 60, it's easy to play the "old" card and that card seems quite acceptable to everyone. Honestly, the people in charge are so happy that I show up at 7:00 in the morning. There are only two (sometimes three) of us early morning volunteers and I let the other person take the dogs I don't want. No one cares. 

There will come a day when I fall in love with one of the dogs, I am already sure of that. Yesterday there was a small, adorable dog that I could have easily taken home, but I am not quite ready. When I return next week I am sure that this little guy will be gone to a good home. There is also a big dog who looks like a ceramic piggy bank, very round, white with large black spots, incredibly friendly and grateful for any and all attention. If I lived in a larger space he would be a contender as well. 

The greatest thing would be to show up some Wednesday and have almost no dogs to walk! To know that these needy pups found a good home would make me the happiest dog walker ever.

More to follow, I'm sure.....

  

No comments:

Post a Comment