Thursday, February 23, 2023

Dogs on My Mind: Part 7

 Walking lots of dogs early in the morning is a little like speed dating:  you interact with each dog for a very short time for a very specific purpose.  That's where the analogy ends: in speed dating one is not intent on getting the subject to pee and poop as quickly as possible.  With dogs, at least with the dogs we know are house-trained, they have been inside for 12-15 hours and they REALLY NEED TO PEE!  Some get five feet outside the door and pee becomes a certainty.  (Poop takes a little longer.)

It's always a gamble when I arrive at 7:00 on Wednesday mornings to see who is still there and who has found their home. Stan, the frisky one-year-old I mentioned previously, has found that home, thankfully.  There are my old favorites, of course, like Shiloh, who I hope gets a home soon because he is such a love. Nora and Clover have been at the shelter for a few weeks and are doing well. And there's a new dog, Penny, a mix between a Pitbull and Catahoula, neither of which are on the small side of dogdom. 



Penny is beautiful and so gentle. She will take a cookie out of my hand like she is whispering to it, just a little tiny movement of her mouth. She walks on a leash perfectly and is spirited but responsive and respectful. If I had the space, I would take this dog home with me in a second.

Nora is another newish dog, a cross between some sort of husky and maybe a German Shepherd.  She's not too big and she is a great walker, plus she knows how to play fetch and is happy tossing the ball into the air and playing with it like a cat.

The SPCA has acquired a few other dogs and some are so endearing that I know they'll be gone in a week or two. I try not to fall in love each week, but like with speed dating, it's difficult to ignore the great qualities I see in some of these dogs. Not a Wednesday goes by that I don't drive away thinking "... maybe.  Maybe."


.

No comments:

Post a Comment