Thursday, June 16, 2011

A couple of reviews and catching up

I have been lax in keeping up with the blog and promise to do better.  It's been hot here in Healdsburg, over 90 yesterday and this farmhouse does heat up.  Makes me even more slothful than normal. It's morning right now so I am not yet overcome with the heat and thus can perhaps get some words on the screen without my brain feeling hot and melty.

I finished the book mentioned in a previous blog, "The Invisible Bridge"  by Julie Orringer.  While I am not a book reviewer by trade and don't have the correct lingo that reviewers use, I definitely can recommend this book for the good character development, the narrative of Paris in the 1930's, the sinister rise of the Nazi regime. It's long and probably could have used some editing, especially in the first half, but it is compelling enough to make you continue reading.  The story starts in the very early days of Hitler's rise to power and ends, rather quickly, at the end of World War Two.  In fact, the last couple of chapters almost feel rushed when compared to the slow pace of the first half of the book.  You know that you will be reading some very hard passages because the book deals with Jews in Hungary during the Nazi regime.  Even though we have all read novels of this historical period, seeing it through Orringer's eyes gives us a new slant on part of it because not much has been written about Hungary's part during the war.  In fact, it sparked my interest enough historically that I did some computer research on the Jews in Hungary during WW2.

The main criticism I have of the writing is that it is occasionally too flowery, or ethereal.  Not always, of course, but sometimes the characters reactions and thoughts seem written in a "too precious" style.  But as the story gets darker, and it does, that style shows up less and less.  Bottom line, it's a very good book.  If you read it, let me know your thoughts on it.

Another review of sorts:  a good friend of mine, Kara, was here in Healdsburg visiting me this week, stayed at the house with me and we had a great time.  On Tuesday we went out to dinner at Bistro Ralph, just on the town square.  There is live music on the square on Tuesday nights so town was very busy and music was blaring.  We sat at an outside table and got to enjoy a good meal and hear the music at the same time.  Very civilized, no sitting on the grass for these two women!

I have been doing some work at the Calderwood Inn, greeting guests, making breakfasts.  That will continue for another week or so until I leave Healdsburg and head off to Texas for a couple of months.  Again, I will keep you posted on what's happening.  Thanks for sharing my adventures!


This is a photo of a painting Kara did of the front porch of the house.  It is sitting on the railing of the porch which is why you can see daylight around the photo, but it is a good rendering of the front porch.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment