Thursday, March 1, 2012

Raise, ROKU and Rendez Vous

It's been a good day. First piece of good news is that my daughter is starting a new job on Monday, a regular salary, gets to buy some professional clothes other than cool chefs coats. That news started my day off quite nicely.

Second, met with the CEO of the corporation that owns the inn in Healdsburg and got a raise and a promise of partial payment of my health insurance, a huge step for me. It was a good meeting and I left feeling confident in my place in the company for now.

Third, I came home to my ROKU player device that I ordered from Amazon. I don't have regular broadcast TV because it is too expensive but this little ROKU thing, the size of an english muffin, lets me stream movies, videos, music from Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, Hulu, etc. Already I love it and it was less than $40.00, including shipping.   Hours of entertainment await me, at last I have a chance of being a couch potato.  Sitting on the couch and reading books is great, but I don't think that qualifies as potato-like.  More like couch literary critic, which doesn't have nearly the cache as the simple phrase "couch potato."  (Why potato, I do not know.  Could have been "couch pepper"  or "couch okra" but those never caught on.  But I digress.)
Finally, my excellent friend Martha gave me a gift card to a local Santa Rosa restaurant, Rendez Vous, where I went for dinner tonight. Sat at the bar, very friendly, had a lovely and large Manhattan, a Salad Nicoise, and brought home a slice of lemon cream tart which was gone in about thirty seconds. Good restaurant, I will go back and thanks to Martha, it made me realize that yes, I can just go out to a real dinner by myself. Take out is an option but there is something nice about being there and eating there and almost being social.

All in all, a good day. Very good day.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment