Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hire me, Mr. President!

Every year for the past four years I have written a letter to President Obama.  The first letter was a pitch for a new group in his Cabinet composed of working class people from all different parts of the United States, giving the President an ear to what the common man/woman was thinking.  This was in 2009, at the very beginning of his first term, as the economic mudslide was just beginning to pick up speed.  I thought it was a great idea, a group of teachers, policemen, farmers, plumbers, maybe a dozen folks from across the country, getting together once a month or so in Washington (on the government's dime) for meetings with the President and the relevant members of his cabinet.  Just giving the man in charge their opinion of what it was really like to scrape together a living every week.

The next two letters were even more pointed.  By the end of 2009 I was out of work, a victim of that economic mudslide, so my 2010 letter was a little more personal, a little more pointed.  The letter I sent in 2011 was even more to the point: I was still out of work, along with millions of others, the whole health care battle was becoming ridiculous, troops were still being killed, bank executives were still getting million dollar bonuses.  That letter might have been a bit too cynical, although I doubt it went so far as to make me a "person to watch" in the FBI parlance.

The letter I wrote yesterday was clear, direct and it should be the one that does the job!  I simply asked the President to hire me.  Not a group of people, not a sub-Cabinet position, just hire me as the lower-middle-class advisor on many of the subjects he touched on in his inaugural speech.  I and my friends and siblings are going to be reliant on public assistance programs like Social Security and Medicare, so we have an interest in those.  I have a daughter who is gay, so I have a vested interest in equal rights for all people of any sexual preference.  As a woman,  it is obviously important that we get paid the same as men for doing the same job. (This is sort of a moot point, however, since I will settle for any job right now, and most of the jobs I would settle for are jobs men wouldn't want to do.)  My grandkids are going to deal with the terrible effects of global warming  and economic instability.  I could go on and on, but you get the point.  I am the perfect demographic to give the President an ear-full. And I will work for cheap.

As soon as he offers me the job I created for myself, I will post it on this blog.  Stay tuned. I am sure, once his lavish parties and lunches and dinners are finished, he will get around to reading his emails and give me a call to work out the details.  While I am not holding my breath, I can hardly wait for his call.

No comments:

Post a Comment