Friday, February 15, 2013

Break

I feel like I might take a break from this blog. Stop posting for a while.  I don't know, it feels like I have nothing to say except talk about the latest books I have read.  And I just read two really good ones.  OK, I will post about those tomorrow.

But the point of the blog was, in the beginning, to chronicle some travels I was taking at the time.  I am not traveling now, not doing anything now except getting on with the life I have, which is certainly nothing different than what you all are doing.  "All" meaning the three people that read this.

I just came back from a short walk around the block with Cooper. There is a bar a block away from where I live, a bar and a pizza place.  The pizza place does decent business, they make a decent pizza, not great but serviceable and it is close.  In the year I have lived here I have had two of their pizzas.  So, really, the pizzas are just OK.  The bar is a separate entity below the pizza restaurant and it does a fine business until about 9:00.  I have walked over to the bar a few times, especially during World Series times, have had a few drinks and a few cheers for the Giants and made a few hour-long friends until the game ends.  I like the place. They make a decent Manhattan for $4.00.  Seriously, where can you get a drink for four bucks these days.

But after games end or on nights with no games and 9:00 rolls around, this place becomes the Zombie Bar.  It gets really busy but honestly, from the peeps I have seen walking into the place, it is scary Zombie land.  I am not kidding.  Tonight, at 9:30, as Cooper and I were passing by on our evening stroll, there were at least a dozen people in a half block walking towards the bar, mostly single people, just streaming towards the place, like they just walked off the bus and had one destination in mind. No expressions on their faces (but, granted, it was dark outside and so maybe I couldn't see the look of enchantment on those faces) and they made no noises or comments as we passed by on the sidewalk. Nothing.  Just Zombie-like straight-arm walking.  To. The. Bar.  So odd and unnerving.

OK, no judgement here, I love a bar as much as the next Zombie.  Next time I will leave the dog at home and I will join the Z-crowd. Maybe there is something I am missing about quaffing alcohol with strangers in a neighborhood establishment after 9:00 at night.  Zombies and all, I am game.  Bring it on!  Better than being bored.  Well, maybe.


.



2 comments:

  1. I agree with Christine, don't stop writing. Your readership would be bereft. "travels" entails pretty much anything in life in my book so you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete