Friday, February 8, 2013

Creepy

This morning I did a little on-line research about vision care insurance. I had a policy in the past that paid for the eye exam, frames, some of the prescription lenses. It was a good deal and I wanted to renew the policy.  I spent about ten minutes on the site, then closed it and moved on.

About thirty minutes later I logged on to my New York Times online account to read some of the paper.  There are advertisements on the front page of the paper.  The largest ad was from the same company whose site I had visited earlier in the day, the vision care insurance company.  Coincidence? I think not. My computer told NY Times something about me, or the Times knows how to pull information from my computer, and they were targeting me specifically. 

Sorry, but that's just creepy to me.  Shocking as well.  We all know that what we do on our computer is not often terribly secure but this was so obvious, so quick and so personal that it made me get up from my computer and leave the room.  Seriously, it was as if someone inside the machine was watching me.  And who knows, maybe they were.  Maybe they still are. Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment