Monday, February 4, 2013

How does one do good?

Yes, I am still unemployed.  Yes, I am still looking for work, every day.  Yes, I am depressed and pissed off about the whole situation.  Thanks for asking.

I must face this fact:  there is a very good possibility that I will not get another job.  It isn't my resume or interview skills or experience.  It's my age. It's my gray hair.  It's the economy and the huge amount of people also looking for work at the same time.  That's just life right now.

So, if I cannot find suitable (or unsuitable, I am not being fussy these days) employment, I will just spend my savings until I am broke and then I will........  (insert anything you want here.)  But in the meantime, before my money runs out, I am trying to figure out how to do something good, how to give to society, how to help out.  How does a person do this?  I spent an hour today while driving trying to think of what I can do and what I might want to do in order to make a difference to someone.  I can volunteer, of course, and that is a fine solution, one that I am going to pursue. But what if I wanted to do something more proactive?  What if I wanted to change the entire path I am on, change the map of my life, so to speak, and take a different journey?  How would I go about doing that?

I guess I first would have to figure out what change I wanted to affect.  Do I want to help the homeless, the hungry?  Do I want to help starving kids?  Do I want to help people in Africa get access to water?  Do I want to help the older lady on my block who seems to be having difficulty driving her car these days?  I don't know.  How does one define a life change?

Ah, questions, questions.  Any answers out there?  I would be happy to listen to them if anyone has any ideas.  All I know is that if I don't have a job, I must have something to do instead of reading a lot of books and walking the dog.  Something that matters to someone other than myself.

OK, that's my mental quandry for today.  Onward.

1 comment:

  1. hi Julie
    I love the mother teresa quote, something like "I cannot do great things, I can only do small things with great love"
    start there.
    start with helping the older lady. look for those opportunities, they will attract more and bigger things, i guarantee it. But. You have to keep doing that, keep looking for what you want in the world, not what is wrong with it. I know I know. It sounds easy or like it would be ignoring something but it's not... it's actually paying attention to what you want to be paying attention to, in order to have the better world, the more satisfying life.... I see it all the time in my own life, what I focus on I get more of.
    You know I've had a few troubles in my life, I belong to a few clubs I never asked to join ;) So I did not come to this view because I always had it. I came to it because I cared enough about what my soul was telling me..that Life is better than what I was believing and changing my perspective on so many things has made all the difference.
    One of the ironic things I've noticed, in myself and in others, is a resistance to happiness (even though we say we want it). And I don't mean not feeling ALL that we feel, because that is human, to feel. but at the end of every feeling I've ever had has been happiness, when I listened enough. So.. my two cents or whatever that would be now ;)
    start small, keep going, keep the faith - in yourself.
    love you
    K

    ReplyDelete