Saturday, May 18, 2013

Garden, again

My garden has not yet died and this is a good thing.  However, while most plants are thriving, there is a thing... a pest....  an alien, I just don't know what, eating the leaves off my bean plants.  Anyone have hints about this?  Whatever the pest is, it ate all the leaves and most of the stalk on one plant that was in the ground.  Some of the leaves are gone from another plant that is in a container on a bench 18 inches off the ground.  Now one other plant, in the ground but not near the other two, has two leaves missing.  Whazup?  So odd.  It looks like a rabbit or deer, but that's simply not possible here.  Unless it is Suburban Death Rabbit.  I have heard stories about that critter, so perhaps.......

But the tomatoes are getting bigger, some blossoms on them. However, I was walking past a guy's house yesterday and his tomatoe plants are huge and he already has big fruit on them and I felt like a gardening failure!  He was very cool, very nice, very encouraging, but really?  Mine have nothing, his have fruit the size of golf balls.  Oh well, I will persevere.  My basil and arugula and dill are great! And the pea seeds I planted have sprouted, as have two of the zucchini seeds, and I hope more of those come up.  I am hoping nothing eats them and they give me nice peas and nice zukes.  And I tossed some hot peppers seeds in the ground (well, they weren't hot when I tossed them, they might be hot if they produce) and they are coming up as well.  Slowly and very small.

Many nasturtiums are coming up, too.  The twigs of mint I planted are growing, which is nice.  One of the dogs (the big one, not my small Cooper) crushed my small rosemary plant so I am sort of sad about that, hoping it comes back up.  We'll see.

OK, when I have photos I will post them.  I know this whole thing is boring to most people but I just have never had luck with growing things so this is pretty cool to me.  Blah, Blah, Blah. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment