Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Hoi An - if it makes it onto the page

I am having trouble posting anything here, so what you read may be fragmented and it could stop midstream.  Bear with me.  Or bare with me.  The following is a bit unorganized because the computer keeps error-ing out on me, so I apolgize for the lack of linear continuity.

The ride from the airport (Hue) was long, mainly because the hotel driver was the slowest driver in Vietnam.  Semi trucks passed us, bicyles passed us, cars without engings passed us.  In Vietnam, drivers have to pass other vehicles, it's simply a fact.  Even on a two lane road, they make a third lane in the middle and pass using that.  This guy did not.  We crawled along. I am sure he was getting paid by the hour and thus made a bundle on the round trip. (I know, cynical on my part, but what other reason could their be?)

I was greeted by the manager rather abruptly when I finally got here, by her ambushing me as I walked into the lobby, telling me I had to come to the cafe for a "welcome drink" which was a cup of tea.  She then thrust a clipboard in front of me, showing me what I owed and making sure I noted (and signed for) the $100 fee for picking up up from the airport.  What!  But it was a fait accompli, so there was nothing to do but sign.   I have come to expect kindness and graciousness from the Vietnamese in the hospitality industry, and this was a far cry from that.

The hotel is beautiful, however, lovely gardens, an old French Colonial style building, really nice setting, even a pool table under an arbor.  My room is nice but would be too small for two people unless they were tiny, it's difficult to walk around the bed without bumping into the armoire or the table. But that's fine, it's just me.  However, right
now I cannot stay in my room because there are construction guys next to me pounding on the walls and the concrete porch outside the room.  It's loud and very, very annoying. It would nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy the gardens nor my room because of the noise.

I walked around town for about an hour this morning, before the businesses opened up, and I suppose I will have to spend most of the day doing the same thing, with the businesses now open. The merchants come out into the street and follow me down the street, trying to get me to buy something, be it a massage or a spa or clothes or produce or cigarettes or a dog or some raw meat.  I expected the town to be somewhat quiet but scooters and motorcycles and cars are all zooming around. 

I may have to take my book and find a bar and hide out.  But first I will just walk more, maybe leave the commercial part of town behind, if that's possible.  

But I will persevere, of course.  If the pounding cement guys are here all day, it won't make me a happy camper, there is only so much walking around town I can take.  It is hot and humid, I like to come back after an hour or two and cool off. But with the hammering, that might not happen.
We'll see....  and hey, it's noon, so perhaps there is a beer with my name on it somewhere. 

I will be back later.


OK, off I go.

1 comment:

  1. i hope that noise ceases and you can enjoy your hotel! keep up the writing even though the errors are annoying. i know i appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete