Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014: So It Begins

OMG!  I can't believe how fast this year is going!  It's already five days old!

I was being ironic there. Or maybe just bitchy. Or some other word I can't quite conjure up right now.

Everyone always hopes for all the best things in January. It seems like a fresh start, a clean screen, like you tipped the Etch-o-Sketch upside down and shook it.  It's all an illusion, of course.  Why should January give us any more license to think things will be different than the middle of June?  Just because it's a new year? Huh, a new year starts every day.  Every day we should be attempting to be better, to be happier, healthier, more prosperous.

Cynical, yes. The new year brings that out in me.  The thought that THIS year will be different is so .... transparently hopeful that it immediately makes it not different, simply more of the same.

But, as I have said before, hope is sometimes the foundation of all our actions.  Without hope, without the vague and flimsy promise of something more, we would all be jumping off bridges. 

Therefore, five days into 2014, I can state without equivocation, that so far, this year is better than the last.  Along with everyone else, I hope it stays better for the next 12 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment