Saturday, October 10, 2015

"Friday Night Lights" from so long ago.

Sometimes you just need to watch something on TV (aka on Netflix.)  Sometimes you just need to watch something that is more than one episode, so you can get into it and ride it along.  This show had great reviews and was on for at least 6 or 7 seasons, but I never got into it.  Why I picked it today, I am not sure. But it was a good pick.

Solidly built around a small town in Texas whose only claim to fame is their football team, it gives us a look at that kind of maniacal dedication that almost defines Texas. Businesses close down on Friday night game nights. Everyone in the town is obsessed with the team winning. And not simply "obsessed" with the team winning but almost willing to put their lives on the line to make the team win. Yes, there was a small town in Texas (Odessa) with a winning team on which this series is based.  But as the book of the same name discovers, football isn't the only thing happening in the town. Lives are being lived, lies are being told and little happens that isn't changed by this football team.

Well, who am I to say this, I am only on episode 5!  But I understand the need to come out on top, to win, to prove something.  Everyone understands that. The players in the series are well drawn, it is well acted, well written and well made.  I only wish it was stormy and cloudy and cold outside, so I could put on my flannel pajamas and watch it throughout the day and into the night. It is that good. And it's free!  

.


No comments:

Post a Comment