Thursday, October 22, 2015

It's time for food: ravioli and cannoli

Sometimes the only thing you want is someone to make you dinner. But at that same time, you don't want to go anywhere or be in anyone's house except maybe your son's or your daughter's house, but no where else. And at that same time, on that particular day, that isn't a possibility.

So you find someplace to buy that dinner, or something close to it. In my little neighborhood we have a very small Italian deli that makes food to pick up and heat up and eat.  (Or food to eat there.)  Right now, on the fence next to the deli, there is a very large sign that reads PUMPKIN RAVIOLI.  Who could resist that?  I stopped there on my way home and got the facts.  48 ravioli to a tray, fresh frozen.  Ten bucks. For me that's at least 3 meals. The guys tell me that the filling is pumpkin, sauteed swiss chard, onions, a bit of Parmesan and I am sold. They also said "hey, they're small, really small, so it's enough for two people if you have a side salad."  Well, I cooked about 15 for me tonight and it was plenty.  I did a little brown butter sauce, some salt and pepper and a tiny bit of parm and they were delicious. 

Plus this place makes their own cannoli.  They have the shells pre-baked, of course, but they fill them when you order.  I just ate mine.....  crispy fried outside, soft and luscious inside with ricotta and lemon zest and mini-chocolate chips.  The perfect cannoli. 

That's all you need, now and then:  a dinner from an almost-home kitchen, a tiny bit of prep and a lot of tasty goodness. It's almost like eating in someone's kitchen. 

xo

.

No comments:

Post a Comment