Saturday, November 28, 2015

Just say "Thank You" and this is not about Thanksgiving

Every five or six months my friend Jani and I meet for breakfast.  It lasts long enough to be lunch because we have so much to talk about.  When the bill comes, I always reach, she always gets it and I always protest.  Jani always says "Just say Thank You."  I do.  And I insist on leaving the tip, which she allows.  It always humbles me a little but lifts me up at the same time. 

"Just say Thank You" is a good thing to remember. For me, it's right up there with "Just be kind."  If you mush them together, as is so easy to do, those two phrases can cover about 75% of life.  The other 25% can be covered with "I'm sorry" (if you really are) and the best, "I love you more."

I think of this because it is the time of saying thanks and it is the time to be kind. Everyone loves Thanksgiving but not everyone loves December. Some people hate the commercialization of ..... what?  The birth of Jesus?  Really?  How many people really believe that story, so why get all cranky because that imaginary birth has morphed into lights and gifts and cards and spending money?   But the commercialization of the holiday is simply commerce and the evolution of tradition. You can hate the spending but you gotta love the lights and the twinkly stuff and candy and kids and sleighs and dogs with reindeer hats. And Christmas trees, who can resist a lovely pine-smelling, light-covered tree with cool ornaments, some of which were made 40 years ago by one's own kids?  Who doesn't love hot cider with spices and brandy?  Who doesn't want to see small children (and big ones) on the morning of December 25 stare in awe at what the imaginary Fat Man left under the tree? 

So, let's all be nice, be kind and thank our fellow persons that we are here, we can act dismayed at the crassness of  buying too much stuff (and yes, it is crass, and yet I know no one who does that anymore) and smile, nod and let it go.

This should be called the Season of Letting It Go. Sigh deeply and find something nice to look at (like that cup of hot cider with brandy) and be joyful.

I know, I am being so simplistic about it all.  But why not?  Let's not over complicate anything anymore. There are a myriad of sites where you can discover organizations who need your donations and you can give a little card to your loved ones telling them what you gave in their name.  (Awkward sentence!)  You can buy a flock of chickens or ducks as a gift!  Or a small heifer.  Or some yarn. Some water bottles, some wooden shelves, a simple wood-fired oven, money for a roof, for fabric.  Closer to home you can give money to your local food bank so others can eat.  On and on it goes. 

But you can also spend a little money and buy presents!  Things for your family and friends to unwrap!  That urban myth that says "Christmas is for kids" is a lie.  Everyone likes a gift, some socks, a bag of almonds, some photos, a jar of salsa, pencils, a second-hand book, wine, a recipe, a DVD that you loved but want to pass on. Wrap it up! It doesn't matter that it cost $2.99 from Trader Joe's, it just matters that someone smiles as they rip the paper off and say "Oh, wow, how cool is this!"

Disclaimer:  Tomorrow is the last day at the hotel for three weeks. They are closing up until December 26.  The reasons are not important but I know the reason behind this blog is this:  I am SO, SO happy that for the next three plus weeks I don't have to go to work!!!!  No pay, but I am not caring.  I could go on, but I will finish that thought tomorrow......

Thank you.  Be Kind.  I love you more.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment