Wednesday, December 2, 2015

That Muscle Car is Mine!

As you know, my small Honda car was assaulted and physically maimed (not psychologically hurt, so that part is fine) and thus has had to go to car hospital to get new parts sewn back on. Like when your favorite doll needed a new eye. Well, actually, nothing like that, that doll never needed two new doors or sanding or remolding or anything but you get the drift.  So I was forced to get a new, temporary doll rental car. I picked Enterprise because they were the cheapest and I could walk to their office. 

The car I was promised was something little like a Kia or a Toyota.  The car I got was a friggin huge and dark and impressive Dodge Charger!  I have always wanted a Dodge Charger, seriously. It's not a wimpy car. It is a CAR. It defines "Muscle Car."  Lots of noise, lots of power, no finesse, little class.  Who cares.  It goes really fast.

Some cars are peppy, they move when you put your foot down.  Some cars are even peppier, they just move out there like a rocket. The Dodge Charger is not like that.  When you put your food on the accelerator, first it growls.  Loudly. Then it shoots away from you like a high school kid on crack.  As quickly as possible, it is gone. But wait, not really gone because you are still there, sort of in control.

It has been a very, very long time since I have played with a car like this.  On the freeway today (out to Sacramento to take Mom to the doctor's, a story for tomorrow) it put every other car to shame.  I heeded my friend Tom's advice and used cruise control when I could but there were times when that was not possible. There were times when that car had to be played.  And I played it. Hard. It loved it and so did I.

Seriously, new cars are always peppy.  This Dodge Charger had 35,000 miles on it and it could hit 60 in about two seconds.  Muscle car, yes!  Flex it and bring it on and I loved it. I wanted to drive this car to Los Angeles but that ain't happening. But I will take it out to the coast this weekend and I hope I can make it work for me. As I said, it growls. And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment