Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Oregon, here and happy

While some people get it, many do not: how I can be friends with an ex and even come and stay in his house with his wife and have a GREAT time.  To those who don't get it, I say:  Too Bad.

This is what I needed: a place where there is no drama, no expectations, no obligations (except to be a nice guest) and little responsibility.  This is where I found it:  at John and Diane's home in Eugene.  Three days of sleeping in, not getting up to walk a dog, having someone make excellent coffee and huge bowls of fruit and yogurty goodness every morning. Three days of reading, watching TV (which I rarely do), making some dinner, running a few errands and laughing a lot.  John and Diane do not require me to do much and they know they do not have to entertain me or change their routine for me and that relieves the "house guest" burden of feeling guilty for ruining someone's daily plan. It's wonderful.

Yesterday we watched some TV and then read and then had those fruit bowls and then drove over to the huge warehouse of a lumber shop that belongs to Seth, the amazing woodworker lumberjack who is Diane and John's son-in-law.  He owns Urban Lumber, here in Eugene and a retail shop in Healdsburg.  Really beautiful furniture, exquisite craftsmanship. That was our field trip for the day.  Today we are going to St. Vincent de Paul to see their used books.  This morning I took a long hike through the woods from their house.  Could it be better?  Not much.

Later today Diane and I are making a new recipe, we will sip wine, cook and chat and laugh.  It's the most relaxing three days I have had in quite some time. YAY!

Back to you in a couple of days.  

.

1 comment:

  1. Di and I had a great time too. We look forward to the next visit. Love you!

    ReplyDelete