Monday, April 10, 2017

Death and taxes

Well, I used  that title because "Death" on its own is too dire.  But that's really the point of this. It's short, there will be follow up later this week.

Last Monday, April 3, I took my Mom out for coffee and a drive. We had a lovely visit, saw all kinds of flowering trees and shrubs and greenery.  She was in a good mood and was strong and moved pretty well.

On Wednesday she was in the hospital.  On Thursday they did a CT scan and found a large mass on her liver that had ruptured and was leaching blood into her stomach. 

On Friday she was released from the hospital and we took her back to her little room at the board and care home, with Hospice in place, drugs at the ready and we acknowledged that she has just a few days, maybe a week, left.

Today I went to see her with Jenn and Gabe in tow. She is pretty out of it, not very conscious and not very aware. However, she did eventually recognize us, and we held her hands and just huddled around and either talked softly to Mom or amongst ourselves. She isn't in much pain (thank goodness for morphine) but her breathing is rather labored and it doesn't look like she has many more days in her.  The quicker she goes, the better for everyone, especially for her.

It was good the kids got to see her.  I will go back on Thursday, if she is still with us. I seem to be fine about it, I think we all are, mainly because this happened suddenly and it's time for her to finish whatever journey she began 67 years ago.

More later.


1 comment:

  1. Jenn called last night. Life surprises us all the time. I know we all expected this to happen but it seems so sudden. You need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete